Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Laperriere, the Heart in Colorado


From radio-canada.ca (translated)

May 26, 2009 - The Avalanche still has no general manager and head coach Tony Granato is hanging by a thread.

Despite the uncertainty in Colorado, Ian Laperriere wishes to continue his career in this American Western State. "I love Colorado and when you have a family, you can not just think of the hockey player," said Laperriere on the air of Sports Extra. "We had negotiated during the year and now we must agree on the terms.

"Negotiations are at a standstill for a very logical reason, the absence of a general manager. "It does not worry me too much," explains the forward who will become a free agent on July 1st. "If the new GM does not like me, I will move on quickly. And if he loves me, I can stay here.

"In the event of a failure in the negotiations, the native of Quebec does not see the Montreal Candiens as a potential destination. "I come from Rivière-des-Prairies and it is obvious that I would have liked to wear the uniform of the Canadiens. Five years ago, the Habs did not call me when I became a free agent. They did not call when I was 30 years old, so I don't see why they would at the age of 35 years.

"In 74 games last year with the Avalanche, Laperriere piled up 19 points (7 goals, 12 assists) in addition to spending 163 minutes in the penalty box. He pocketed 1.150 million last season.



Roy, a good candidate

On the scent of rumors sending Patrick Roy to Colorado, Laperriere would not say no to the arrival of the former goaltender of the Canadiens. "I have the greatest respect for Roy, the hockey player," he says. "He is a winner; it is in him. He has been successful as a coach with the Remparts and I do not see why he would not make it in the NHL.

"Laperriere, who follows the rumors on the internet from his home in Colorado, finds the situation painful for Tony Granato. "I would not like to be in his shoes. Every day, he reads that he is fired when he is still our coach. If the Avalanche are looking for a coach, I have no idea why they're keeping Tony. Last year, you should not forget that he lost his two best players in Joe Sakic and Paul Stastny for a long period."


I take no credit for finding this one out there in the ether. If you want to keep up on EVERYTHING Lappy, you must go to It's All About Lappy
And while you are there consider picking up a
t-shirt that supports the Ronald McDonald House Charities. I have it on very good authority that it is a worth-while donation.
Let's hope the new GM doesn't just look at statistics when looking at Lappy's value. I wouldn't call 19 points exactly piling in on as the (translated) article says. Lappy's value is difficult to measure. And if the Avs management hesitates pre-July 1st, they will quickly discover that Lappy's value is real. Teams will be lining up to sign him to what will likely be his last NHL contract. In Colorado, we are hoping for the best.

Posted by: From the Point

No comments:

Post a Comment