Thursday, February 4, 2010

If Budaj was guilty of Drinking and Dialing...

The Scene: In the middle of the night someone has been drinkin’, and thinkin’...


- In Chicago, Coach Quenneville’s phone begins to ring…

...ring...ring...ring...ring

Quenneville: ...sleepy...Hello?

Boods: Hi Coach, it’s me.

Q: Boods? Why are you calling me…?

B: I just um, called…I...just wanted to say “Hi”

Q: It’s the middle of the night.

B: I know, I’m sorry…but…I miss you.

Q: ...pause...um,

B: You don’t have to say it back

Q: Boods you shouldn’t be calling me, we’re not together anymore…

B: Don’t worry, he won’t find out.

Q: But what about me?

B: You always were selfish

Q: I’ve changed

B: Not much

Q: I don’t treat goalies like I used to…

B: I know, that’s why I called…

Q: Boods…

B: Look, I know I complained all the time about how you would sit me after a good game, pull me before I could work through a rough spot

Q: I only thought I was doing what was best for both of us.

B: No, you were doing what was best for you, but I guess I didn’t know how good I had it actually.

Q: I played you as much as I thought I could

B: I know! I know that now…It’s just, things now…

Q: …with Anderson?

B: Don’t you EVER say his name! EVER!

Q: Ok, ok!

B: I’m sorry, it’s just that he’s like a machine…I don’t know how he does it.

Q: You’ll get your chance

B: I had my chance, things are different now…

Q: how so?

B: I just want to be back with you.

Q: Boods, you know I can’t do that, I’ve moved on…

B: Coach, please? Can’t you trade for me?

Q: What? No Boods, I can’t…

B: But I NEVER get to play anymore!

Q: I know, I’ve noticed...

B: You have?

Q: I keep my eye on you!

B: I didn’t know, I just thought you were all wrapped up in your new goalies. I mean, all I want is just one of a back-to-backs, that isn’t too much to ask, is it?

Q: Boods we can’t talk about this, you know that. What if someone found out?

B: I know, I was just hoping…

Q: ...soothingly...You’ve got a new coach now…

B: ...sigh...

Q: …and I’ve got new goalies, we can’t live in the past.

B: ...sob...

Q: Now Boods, don’t…

B: I can’t help it, I just want to play…sniff

Q: I know, It’ll be ok, I promise. You’ll be an UFA next season and find a coach that will treat you right, I just know it!

B: …maybe…

Q: It’s true, there’s a coach out there that will play you and appreciate you for who you are.

B: You think?

Q: Yes

B: But what if Sacco wants me back? And they offer me another one year deal?

Q: You’re better than that, turn it down!

B: Maybe you will need a solid backup…?

Q: Boods, we can’t talk about that…

B: Ok…

Q: Now get some rest, you never know when that machine might break down.

B: Ok! I’ll keep my chin up and my 5-hole tight!

Q: Way to be!

B: Ok, I’m going to go now.

Q: Goodbye Boods. And good luck!

B: Thanks Coach! Bye.

...click...

-From the Point

No comments:

Post a Comment